Thursday, June 24, 2010

No Soup for You!


I'd like to start off by recognizing that it has been a while since my last blog, approximately 20 days, and for that I can apologize. It is quite worthless to have a blog if you aren't using it but as my mom said, "Life happens." I have a long list of topics that I plan to share so I hope it will keep me busy for a while--so please keep reading.

Second, I'd like to recognize my "friend" in my previous post that pointed me in the direction of the delicious El Tiempo Fajitaria. Apparently as a friend he wants a real name rec. So this is a shout out to Will Sealy. Thank you for your great recommendation. Your San Antonio upbringing has given you a keen nose for taco greatness.

Okay so now for the goods. Doozo Dumplings & Noodles located in the Houston Center downtown is no secret to many of those who work downtown in Houston. Patrick discovered it during his first few months at his job almost three years ago and has been an avid dumpling lover ever since. The first time I ever met him downtown for lunch that is where we went and its the only place we ever go every time I visit him downtown.

The dumplings at this place are delicious but the food is only half the fun of your dumpling experience. As you near the front of the line you are greeted with the following sign:


It is also an unspoken understanding of all those who have been to Doozo that you MUST have your money ready and KNOW YOUR ORDER before you get there, no doddling. They recently started taking credit cards here but the rule is still the same, money must be ready in your hand. Actually, its not so unspoken as you may get in trouble by the owner, Julie Lu, who is there ready to take every dollar and order.  You literally feel like you are walking on the set of the Soup Nazi episode -- no laughing though, you can't lose focus. She is extremely efficient and has memorized every possible combination of prices on the menu. Anyone who visits Doozo will know this immediately because the millisecond that you finish ordering, she recites your total to you. You can imagine the utter irritation across her face when you try to nervously mumble the words..."Uhh we're together" or "Can I add a drink?"  You pay, try to get some sort of thank you out of your mouth and scurry out the door. A strange feel of relief brushing over you releasing a tiny nervousness that you were a little unsure you even had.

The dumpling charade is entirely worth it though. I usually get the pork dumplings with extra spicy sauce. They also offer a chicken and vegetable option but I've been too nervous to change my order. For around 7 dollars you can get 10 dumplings and a drink so if you are in the Houston Center I would recommend that you check it out.


Enjoy!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment