Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tacos Amor!



Patrick and I happen to love El Tiempo. In my opinion, its the best Tex-Mex Mexican food in town. I would venture to say on Earth-but that's just me. We even had our rehearsal dinner there! The downside to El Tiempo? It's pretty pricey. I'm not sure we have ever gotten out of there for less than $40 for just the two of us and that is without margaritas. So for obvious reasons, we really can't go there as much as we would like. Nevertheless, we love it all the same.

A good friend of mine told me about the meat market owned by El Tiempo, El Tiempo Fajitaria. He told me that the word on the street is that it has DELICIOUS tacos on the cheap. This information I can confirm as fact. It was amazing, and surprisingly pretty cheap. What it WAS NOT was a replacement for El Tiempo. It may be owned by El Tiempo, and it does have the same delectable homemade toritillas, but the only thing I found it had in common with El Tiempo is that it is Mexican.


The El Tiempo Fajitaria is part small market, part Mexican butcher, and part taco stand. This little gem had everything you would want out of an "authentic" eatery. First of all, a few things on the menu that I had never heard of. For instance, you can get a buche or tripas taco. The guy behind the counter showed me the buche which appeared to be pig's ear. Tripas is usually the lining of farm animals' stomach. I'm adventurous, but no thank you. They also had some classics that I knew of like barbacoa, menudo, and carnitas. Second, we were the only gringos speaking English in the place, which is usually a flashing neon sign for me that it is going to be good.


I ordered one barbacoa and one carnitas on flour tortillas and Patrick ordered two carnitas tacos. For those of you who don't know what barbacoa is , aka barbecoa de cabeza, its slow roasted cow's head and carnitas is the pork version of this Mexican delight. The food was so good. Nothing about it was fancy or even surprising but plain and simple it was good. The barbacoa was so tender it melted in your mouth like butter. Likewise, the carnitas was very tender and had the best flavor. It was incredibly savory and perfect with their house made green salsa. The tacos were HUGE. I only completely finished one. Patrick ate both of his, he couldn't resist! 

All in all it was a great place that I strongly reccommend. We loved it anyway!

Until next time, Adios!

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! Will definately have to try!

    ReplyDelete